Monday 7 September 2015

You've got a friend in me - part 2

If you haven't seen it before then here is my husbands 25th birthday cake that he asked me to make for him - 3 tiers of Toy Story. I call this cake 'You've got a friend in me - part 1'...


On seeing this cake on social media, one of my friends decided to ask me for a Toy Story cake for her brother's 21st birthday. Thankfully for me she only wanted a two tier cake, not the three tier monster that diva-husband Alex had me slaving over!

We did risk a bit of a cake-ja-vu here so I started looking for some different designs to try some new tricks out. We settled on a two tier Buzz/Woody themed cake (notice how Alex's cake is Woody themed as he is a die hard Woody fan). I was definitely excited to take on the challenge of the space ranger design, and kne from Alex's birthday cake that I could do cowprint to perfection!

For this particular cake I had Alex helping me out with the design a bit, and even had him doing little bits for the cake. As a Toy Story dork his expertise came in handy when cutting out and hand-painting the space ranger emblem on the Buzz tier of the cake.

Oh and I didn't mention - bottom tier chocolate mania, chocolate sponge AND buttercream and not a bit of jam in sight for the jam-hating birthday boy, top tier - plain sponge with raspberry jam.

This cake definitely needed the four hands it had working on it! There were so many bits and pieces to lift into place and as the cake was decorated right round to the back, having Alex around to lift pieces into place came in so handy!

Overall I love this cake. It's definitely a different spin to my previous Toy Story Cake and I am so tempted to go and make a two tiered cake based on Anna and Elsa's dresses because I love the costume theming.

On delivery we got to sing happy birthday and see the candles blown out which is rare but still rather special. I must say also... the confetti on the table really finishes the look! Note to self: invest in table confetti!



Let me know what you think of this one and don't forget to follow me on Twitter @peasweetcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment